Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Mom's Chili Mac

I've been eating this stuff and loving it since I can remember.  It was one of the top three recipes I had to take to college just so I could have a taste of home, some comfort food.  Being the first day of fall, I thought it was the perfect dish to kick off the season.  Only hitch, I've gotta use Brook's Mild Chili Beans in Chili Sauce and ya can't find the stuff in California!  So, every time I go back home to the midwest, I pack my suitcase up with 6-8 cans.  They do sell chili beans in chili sauce out here of course, and I think I tried it once--good substitute.  Honestly, it's probably in my head.



Mom's Chili Mac

1 lb. or a little more ground beef
1 sweet onion, chopped
garlic
large serving spoon of flour
4 T chili powder (or to taste)
beef broth (about 3 cups)
1 (16oz.) can tomato sauce
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato paste
1 can chili beans in chili sauce

Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic.  Add flour and saute until well mixed.  Add chili powder.  Add soup, sauce, and paste; simmer.  Slowly add broth about a 1/2 cup at a time.  Usually takes about a half hour of simmering.  You can add more or less broth according to your taste in consistency of chili.  I like mine thick.  Last, add can of chili beans in chili sauce and heat a few more minutes.  Serve over spaghetti!

1 comment: