Friday, November 26, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Knowing Thanksgiving would be a work day, I decided to prepare everything ahead of time. It worked out nice because this morning all I had to do was sleep in and heat everything up. Only thing I cut corners on was the stuffing. I don't really like stuffing cooked in the bird and besides, I only made a turkey breast. Having run out of time to make the bread and then chop it up and dry it out, I opted for the Pepperidge Farm stuff. Everything else was from scratch though! On the menu was: turkey, green beans with toasted bread crumbs, glazed carrots, the best mashed potatoes ever!, cranberry sauce, beer bread, stuffing, and pecan pie. Voila!


The turkey breast I placed in a baking dish with carrots, celery, and onions. I drizzled some truffle and porcini mushroom oil over the breast to keep it moist and add an interesting flavor. Seasoned it then with salt, pepper, and parsley flakes and topped a few pats of butter on top. It took a couple hours to bake in foil and then the last half hour I opened it up to brown the top.

The mashed potatoes turned out amazing. They were definitely my favorite part of the meal. When I make potatoes, there's no real measurements I follow - just keep adding more til it tastes right! I boiled about 12 medium size Yukon gold potatoes after peeling them. Once they were cooked through, I drained and mashed them. I think I ended up adding about 2 sticks of butter (maybe a little more), 2 packs of cream cheese, salt, and milk to get the right consistency.

My mom always made the best green beans with browned bread crumbs on top, never the green bean casserole, so that's what I stuck to. I toasted two slices of bread, grated them, and then browned them in a saucepan with butter. After steaming the green beans and tossing them with butter and salt, the crumbs were sprinkled on top.

I LOVE real cranberry sauce. None of this canned tube stuff. Cranberry sauce is not supposed to be sliced! Got this recipe off of Cookinglight.com:

Cranberry Sauce

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 c water
1 1/2 T honey
1/8 t allspice
1 (12 oz.) package fresh cranberries
1 cinnamon stick

Combine all ingredients in saucepan over med.-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 12 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon stick and allow to cool.


Glazed carrot recipe turned out ok, but not ideal. I really need to get my mom's recipe, but keep forgetting. This one I found on myrecipes.com

Glazed Carrots
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 4 cups carrots
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Melt margarine in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add sugar, stirring until melted. Add carrots, salt, and pepper and cook 10 minutes, or until carrots are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley.

The beer bread was delicious as always. I can't remember where I pulled the recipe from since it was so long ago, but if I had to guess, probably Cookinglight.com. It's so easy to throw together too and the yeast is in the beer!

Beer Bread

3 c flour
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 c sugar
12 oz. beer
2 T melted butter

Preheat oven to 375'F. Combine all ingredients except for the butter and pour into a greased baking dish. The mix should be sticky. Bake for 55 minutes. The last 3 minutes, brush the top of the loaf with butter and return to the oven. If you have self-rising flour, the baking powder and salt can be eliminated.

The pecan pie recipe I developed after mixing and matching several online recipes. I also threw in a couple handfuls of semi sweet chocolate chips this time. The crust is my standard crust from "Favorite Brand Name Cookbook". I use it ALL the time.



Single Crust
1 1/3 c all purpose flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 c Crisco shortening
3 T cold water

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and cut in the crisco with a pastry blender or 2 knives. Sprinkle with cold water, 1 T at a time until the dough forms. Roll out the dough and press into a greased pie plate. Fold the edges under and crimp, trimming off any excess.

Pecan Pie Filling
1 stick butter
1 c sugar
2/3 c dark Karo syrup
1/3 c light Karo syrup
3 eggs beaten
1 c chopped pecans, toasted
pinch of salt
1 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350'F. In a saucepan, melt butter but don't let it brown. Mix in the sugar and corn syrups and cook, stirring over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the salt, vanilla, and eggs AFTER the mix is cooled to lukewarm temperature. Stir in the pecans and pour into the pie shell. Chocolate chips can be sprinkled on top if desired. Bake for 1 hour or until firm in the center.

No comments:

Post a Comment