Sunday, May 29, 2011

Polish Cabbage Rolls

These are also referred to as Galumpkis. My grandma and mom used to make these growing up, although this is not their recipe. It came out pretty close to what I remember though and this is what I've been using for years. I don't remember where I found it originally; it's been a while, but it's fairly standard.


Polish Cabbage Rolls

1 green cabbage
1 lb. ground beef, browned
3/4 - 1 c rice, cooked
1 egg beaten
1 onion, minced fine
1 carrot, minced fine
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/2 c brown sugar
8 oz can tomato sauce

Mix ground beef, rice, egg, onion, carrot, salt and pepper. Mix together vinegar, brown sugar and tomato sauce. Drop cabbage in boiling water for 5-10minutes. Remove 10 large leaves. Chop remaining cabbage. Place in bottom of large glass baking dish. Place 2-4 T of meat mixture in center of each leaf. Roll up by folding top flap over meat mixture then sides, and rolling down the length of the leaf. Place stem side down in pan and pour tomato mixture on top. Place in 350 oven for half hour or until hot and bubbly.

1 comment:

  1. KRAPCAKES! I mean KRUPCAKES!! Why don't you put more Polish food up here, like pierogis???
    Thanks for the recipe. I'll see if I can make it for my dad.
    Van Cortlandt

    ReplyDelete