Monday, March 7, 2011

Lemon Cookies, Take 2

With the abundance of lemons, I tried my hand at a second lemon cookie recipe, this one stuffed. The batch didn't make too many, but then again they were sandwiched. Great crunchiness to this recipe and again, not too overpowering with lemon flavor. The sandwiches were a bit to handle as far as being thick. I mean, when you bite into a cookie, you want to finish it in one, maybe two bites. These were a definite three bites. Don't let me stop you from making these though! They were very tasty! I've had my second one since dinner. However, I am still on my quest for the perfect lemon cookie! Recipe from a blogger, www.saltandchocolate.com.


Lemon Sandwich Cookies

2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of powdered sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of Flour
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. In the bowl of a mixer beat butter, powdered sugar, lemon zest and salt until combined and smooth. Place the mixer on low and slowly add the flour the dough will be very stiff. Do not over mix the dough stop mixing when just combined and finish mixing by hand.
Turn the dough out onto wax paper and form into a cylinder, wrap and chill until firm at least 1 hour but up to 3 days. Once chilled unwrap the dough and slice in 1/4" slices. If the dough cracks let it warm up. If you chill it longer than a few hours you will probably have to let it sit out at room temperature for 30 minutes or more.
Place an inch apart on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the granulated sugar. Bake until they barely start to brown, 10-12 minutes. Once baked transfer to a cooling rack to completely cool.

Creamy Lemon Filling

Ingredients
4oz of softened cream cheese
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1 - 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar

In a bowl mix together the cream cheese and the lemon zest until smooth then gradually add the sugar until it forms the consistency you are looking for and whisk until smooth.

To make the sandwiches put about 1 teaspoon of filling between 2 cookies.

1 comment:

  1. Your cookies sound very lemony, just how I like them and as for the frosting, well I never say no to cream cheese. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cookies up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete