Sunday, March 27, 2011

Feijoada

The first time I tried Feijoada was at a Brazilian restaurant in St. Louis. I fell in love instantly! Feijoada is a traditional Brazilian stew made of beans and pork. It is served accompanied by thinly sliced collard greens, rice, roasted cassava flour (I use corn meal), and peeled orange slices. I found so many variations on this recipe as it's said to be a peasant's stew. After combining several recipes I found, I came up with this! And I've made it over and over again for years. Be prepared though to spend all day in the kitchen! This needs to simmer on the stove for at least 5 or 6 hours.

Feijoada

6 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. hamhock
8 oz. bacon diced
8 oz. smoked sausage
1 1/2 lb. pork strips
2 onions, chopped
1 orange, halved and peeled
3 bay leaves
1/4 t ground pepper
1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
wine reduction or dry red wine
garlic

Saute the garlic, pepper, and onions in a bit of olive oil for a few minutes. Combine everything in a deep pot and simmer (covered) on low 5-6 hours, stirring frequently. The red wine addition is to taste and also to add some liquid. I probably use about a cup to a cup and a half. Serve with finely sliced collard greens, white rice, orange slices, and corn meal. I like to grab a forkful of the stew with the rice and then dip it in the corn meal and greens. It'll stick to your ribs!

2 comments:

  1. supernex at gmailMay 29, 2011 at 5:52 AM

    I'm Brazilian and naturally I love feijoada! I will be trying your recipe, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really, really, really, really... good!

    ReplyDelete