Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Vietnamese Chicken Porridge

I tried this dish at Soma Streatfood Park in San Francisco and fell in love.  I took a picture of the ingredients listed on the sign and then got to work.  I have to say my recreation is pretty darn close!  The brothy consistency with a hint of lime is surprisingly delicious!  I luckily had some homemade chicken broth in the freezer and the few cups extra I used "Better than Bouillon" to make up the difference.

Vietnamese Chicken Porridge

several cups of Jasmine rice
about 15 cups of homemade chicken broth
bunch of green onions, tops sliced
bunch of cilantro, chopped (try to eliminate the stems)
8 chicken thighs
1/2 c lime juice
3/4 tsp. white pepper

Bring chicken broth to a boil and drop in chicken thighs until cooked through.  Remove thighs one at a time and shred; return to pot.  Add white pepper, green onions, cilantro, and lime juice.  Serve over about 1/4 cup of Jasmine rice per bowl.  I like to keep the Jasmine rice separate from the broth until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment